Finding Hope, Redemption, Courage... from Cancer

"(At one time) my future seemed to stretch out before me like a straight road. I thought I could see along it for many a milestone. Now there is a bend in it. I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does. It has a fascination of its own, that bend." - Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Day 3

Hey guys.

Not much to update you on, but the past three days have been, well. Hum. It's back to swimming upstream. I miss the energy I had last week. VERY MUCH. Though I suppose having side effects is a good thing, right? It means its working, right?

Yeah, we won't know that for quite awhile, actually.

There's something I heard someone say once, that when you're sick, you know it. You can feel something inside you that doesn't belong. I have definitely felt that over the last 18 months. But I could also tell when I was feeling better. Last October my energy really started to pick up - note: this is when Gleevec stopped killing off as many of the philadelphia chromosomes that it should. As of two days ago, my energy plummetted. I can feel myself fighting something, which I probably should. Cancer shouldn't really be allowed to have a "home" in my body.

But the "war" inside felt eerily familiar - like I cycled back to January 2009. Though, not quite as bad, of course, because this time I don't have to kill off 163,000 unnecessary white blood cells. This time, its just a chromosome thing.

Just. Whatever. Our bodies are really made in weird and wonderful ways that I won't ever fully understand.

First blood test is next week. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment