Finding Hope, Redemption, Courage... from Cancer

"(At one time) my future seemed to stretch out before me like a straight road. I thought I could see along it for many a milestone. Now there is a bend in it. I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does. It has a fascination of its own, that bend." - Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Elliana (Christmas Family Update #1)






We have a fabulous family photographer. She knows how to capture our children at their most charming. Yes, Joanne, you know we love you! Though, really, in this case the subject also helps. Elliana always seems to know how to behave in front of a camera. I remember two years ago, taking our first pictures of a family of four, we were all surprised at how photogenic our four-month-old baby was. I guess it was just a sign of what was to come.

For a mom who's spent more time sick at home than most do, I feel incredibly blessed to have Elliana with me. I remember a woman I really looked up to at one of our previous churches told me how her oldest daughter was the perfect personality to comfort her during a sad time of her life. Elliana reminds me a lot of what that woman told me. She really embodies joy and peace, and really embraces the abundance her little life offers. When you need to be picked up, she will run to give you a hug - well, also because she just LOVES being hugged, held, and cuddled. This is convenient - she's our last baby so we appreciate this. Uh, well, most of the time. Sometimes I do wonder what her kindergarten teacher will say when she asks to sit on her lap instead of at her desk! =) But we have a few years there...

Elliana had a difficult time when I first got sick. She had just turned eight months old and the medications I had to take forced me to wean her really abruptly, and sometimes I wonder if that's why she likes to hug - and be hugged - so much. She loves her baby dolls and little people - snafoo-ing her sister's little people school bus on a regular basis and saying, 'people, people, how was school today? Did you have fun?' She likes to put blankets on her dolls and kiss them good night - several times a day, while they sleep on our living room floor.

She loves her big sister, but doesn't seem to miss her too much while she's in school. I think it's because she gets to use her toys then. =)

The big news of course is that she is now potty training - an exciting prospect in a house who knows we won't have more babies. The thought of a diaper free life is thoroughly intoxicating. She decided to train herself, actually - something I'd heard other parents talk about but didn't really believe them. I mean, what kid just magically does it? Huh. This one did. Don't get me wrong - there are accidents, several in fact, and we're a long way from being done, but I am very appreciative that this time is so much easier than the first time, especially because its a tricky process when you're carting kids to school, piano, ballet and the dentist.

Anyhow... those of you who don't know my little girl, I hope you get to meet her someday. She is creative, funny, and - though exhausting - brings such a smile to us on a daily basis.

1 comment:

  1. She sounds like a little sweetheart! Shes a cutie too :o) My second potty trained herself... I was totally not wanting to train her at the time because I was pregnant with our third but decided I better do it since she wanted to. She told me when she needed to go, then went! WAY easier than with our first, I thought he was going to go to highschool in diapers!

    ReplyDelete