Finding Hope, Redemption, Courage... from Cancer

"(At one time) my future seemed to stretch out before me like a straight road. I thought I could see along it for many a milestone. Now there is a bend in it. I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does. It has a fascination of its own, that bend." - Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Thursday's Thoughts - "Small Islands of... hope?"

So, each week, on Thursdays, I hope to bring you two of my favorite quotes for the week, one serious, and one funny, or even silly. In today's case, the first one is very serious (but hopeful), and the second is very silly. In case you wondered, yes, I'm a bit of an eclectic? individual. If you want serious, read the first; if you want silly, skip to the end.


1) This quote is for my momma, who would have celebrated 32 years of marriage yesterday, had my dad still been alive, and for all of you who have ever lost anyone close to you, ever.

(And yes, I love, love, love this book; though I promise to quote something else next week!;)

"Visitors offering their condolences, thinking to comfort me, said, 'Life goes on.' What nonsense, I thought, of course it doesn't. It's death that goes on; (Ian) is dead now and will be dead tomorrow and next year and forever. There's no end to that. But perhaps there will be an end to the sorrow of it. Sorrow has rushed over the world like the waters of the Deluge, and it will take some time to recede. But already, there are small islands of -- hope? Happiness? Something like them, at any rate."

-Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows, Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society




2)And for the bizarre humor quota of the day, one of my favorite Office moments, dedicated to all of my maternity nurse friends:

Michael Scott: (after sipping wine) That is sort of an oaky afterbirth.

Jim Halpert: What was that?



Also a quick note: I've decided to alternate weeks between the different types of posts described
here. Week 1 will include, "Monday's Mama Musings," "Thursday's Thoughts," and "Sunday's Commentary" (the type of posts you've seen more lately around here, like this one.) Week 2 will contain, "Tuesday's Pick of the week," "Wednesday's Profile in Courage," and "Friday's Good Read.") So watch for the first 'Profile' to come next Wednesday, July 13, when I get to write about someone very unique, and very dear to me. Right now I'm working on July 10th's Sunday's Commentary, which I think many of you may enjoy: "Why the World Needs More Strong Women."

No comments:

Post a Comment